In this article, I will share with you the ten best real estate movies you should watch if you are an agent, investor, or developer. As you know, movies can’t give you a real-life experience, but they can help you to understand the following things.
- How to play the game?
- How to generate leads?
- How to sell the property for a profit?
- How to identify the best property?
- How to save yourself from a market crash?
So watch these to understand the property market better.
Table of Contents
Ten Best Real Estate Movies for Agents
So here is the list of the best real estate movies of all time for anyone who wants to expand their real estate knowledge. Let’s start with the Money Pit, released in 1986.
1. Money Pit
This movie tells you why you must have a home inspector at the time of purchase. If you are not hiring an inspector to save a few dollars. Then that might cause you a bigger problem in the future.
This movie tells you, that not every house is as good as it seems from the outside. Do the due diligence properly, or the bad things are coming for you.
- Cast: Tom Hanks
- IMDB Rating: 6.4 stars
- Release date: 1986
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand how important due diligence is then watch this.
Tom Hanks (the lead actor) and his wife bought a good house by investing everything they had in the bank. But after some days, the disaster started to appear. The bed got broken, the water supply flowing dirt, and the stair got broken. Everything is falling apart, and they can’t blame anyone.
That means they need a lot of money to repair that house. So always hire a home inspector before you purchase a house. IMDB rate is 6.4.
Also, read: Top ten real estate TV shows of all time
2. 99 Homes
This movie tells you how to find the best investment property in a particular area. What kind of problems you might face in that process and how to overcome all those.
- Cast: Andrew Garfield
- IMDB Rating: 7.1 stars
- Release date: 2014
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand the daily life of a realtor, then watch this masterpiece.
The story is, that a real estate agent is trying to make money from foreclosed homes by kicking people out of their homes forcefully. Andrew Garfield (the lead actor) is helping him to do so in order to earn a few dollars.
This movie shows you the worst side of a property business (in a foreclosed home). But it can give you some outstanding ideas on dealing with those problems.
IMDB’s rate of 99 homes is 7.1. A good movie to watch.
3. The Big Short
With an IMDB rating of 7.8, this movie is too popular with Cristian Bale and Brad Pitt alongside Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling.
- Cast: Cristian Bale, Brad Pitt, Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling.
- IMDB Rating: 7.8 stars
- Release date: 2015
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand the 2008 financial crisis in a better way, then watch this movie.
The movie explains why the housing market will cause a monstrous financial crash in a few years. Best move on the 2008 financial crisis that shocked the world.
Michael J. Burry (MD of a Hedge fund) somehow managed to make a big profit of $2.69 billion from that crash by taking some very calculated risks.
Michael Lewis wrote a book on the 2008 financial crisis. This movie is made based on that book.
4. The Founder
The story of McDonald’s. Based on the life of the founder Ray Kroc and his incredible journey to build a massive real estate empire hidden in a Hamburger business.
- Cast: Michale Keaton
- IMDB Rating: 7.8 stars
- Release date: 2016
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand the hidden game of real estate on the McDoland hamburger business then watch it.
IMDB rate is 7.2. The movie is based on the book ” The Founder” by Michael Keaton. Watch this if you want to know:
- How to build a massive real estate empire?
- How to overcome all of those obstacles?
- How to use legal loopholes to expand your business?
- How to make a long-lasting effect?
5. GlenGarry GlenRoss
This movie is best for various sales techniques used in a real estate business. This movie will teach you:
- How to sell a property?
- How to communicate?
- How to negotiate?
- How to convince a client?
- How to close a deal?
You may know “The wolf of wall street” movie, this is a similar one. But for the real estate guys. IMDB rate is 7.7. Al Pachino is in the lead role. A great real estate movie to watch.
- Cast: Al Pacino
- IMDB Rating: 7.7 stars
- Release date: 1992
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand the whole negotiation process and how to become an expert in it then watch this real estate movie.
6. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
The movie was released in 1948 and has a rating of 7.2 on IMDB. It’s for those who want to enter the construction business. You will become a crazy man while handling all those things it takes to build a house.
- Cast: Cary Grant
- IMDB Rating: 7.2 stars
- Release date: 1948
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand the whole real estate construction business, things that can get worse in a time of need, and how to deal with them.
Watch it if you want to renovate a house or build something new. It will help. One of the best real estate movies on comedy.
7. Promised Land
If you invest in the land you should watch it. This movie will teach you how bad it can go to get approval for land investment. It has a rating of 6.6 on IMDB.
- Cast: Matt Demon
- IMDB Rating: 6.6 stars
- Release date: 2012
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand the paperwork behind a land purchase and converting it into a profitable venture then it will help you.
Two salesmen are trying to get approval for the land they are about to dig for their company’s needs. But they don’t have permission. They are knocking on every door to get that. A good real estate movie for the people in the industry.
8. Adult World
This movie is addressing, a unique concept in the real estate industry that every millennium is facing in modern society. They try to find a house and put themself in big financial trouble.
- Cast: Emma Roberts
- IMDB Rating: 6.1 stars
- Release date: 2013
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand how purchasing a house at a young age can damage your financial health.
This movie explains how Agents can use you to get your money without thinking about what will happen to you if you can’t make the payment.
9. Revolutionary Road
Starting with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, a masterpiece on a Realtor’s life. It has a rating of 7.3 on IMDB. Everyone should watch this movie.
- Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio
- IMDB Rating: 7.3 stars
- Release date: 2008
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand those million-dollar deals and how a realtor manages them, watch this movie.
The concept comes from a 1961 novel of the same name. It’s a love story about money, the journey of a realtor, and his personal issues. How that issue can affect the business. It’s one of the best real estate movies.
10. And So It Goes
It’s a story of a Relator who is trying to sell an $8.5 million house in the neighborhood. But, he faces many problems in the process. You will learn how a good realtor manages all those make the deal happen.
- Cast: Diane Keaton
- IMDB Rating: 5.8 stars
- Release date: 2014
- Reason to watch: If you want to understand those million dolar deal and how a realtor manages it then watch this movie.
It has a rating of 5.8 on IMDB. It is worth the watch if you are in the real estate industry. This real estate movie will teach you a lot.
I think these are the best real estate movies out there to watch. Share this article with your friends on social media to get them informed. See you in the next one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best real estate movies?
99 Homes (2014), The Founder (2016), and Glengarry GlenRoss (1992) are the top real estate movies of all time.
Where can I watch real estate movies?
Netflix has most of the top-rated real estate movies and some also are available on YouTube.
What is the best real estate movie for agents?
Revolutionary Road (2008), starting with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, a masterpiece on a Realtor’s life and he deals with both client and his personal life.